Mindfulness meditation promotes well-being from the inside-out. Through practice, we train our heart and mind to experience more freedom, awareness, and compassion. Research has shown that mindfulness benefits those struggling with depression, anxiety, emotional regulation, distractibility, high sensitivity, and difficult life transitions. During this time of deep suffering and uncertainty, many are turning to mindfulness practices as a refuge in the storm.
But where to start? There’s so much information available about mindfulness meditation that it can feel overwhelming – and impersonal. Confusing. (Am I doing it right?) I’m here to help by making mindfulness meditation more relatable, accessible, and inviting.
I offer group classes (delivered online, through Zoom, and when it’s safe to do so in-person), customized workshops, guided meditation sessions, and individual mentorship designed to help you develop a fruitful practice that suits your personality, lifestyle, and the unique and shifting challenges of our “new normal”. In addition, my first e-course will be open for enrollment in late 2020!
One of the benefits of working with me (as opposed to well-known meditation teachers with large followings) is the relational aspect that leaves you feeling truly supported, known, and valued. Participants in my courses marvel at how well-suited my teaching style is for the Zoom environment and how safe, supportive, and personal a space I’m able to create – as if we’re actually in the same room.
I’ve taught my 4- to 6-week Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation course and offered guided meditation sessions via Zoom numerous times for libraries large and small. (References available upon request.) Working with libraries makes my program more accessible to anyone who’s interested. In addition, as a former classroom teacher, I’m feeling especially called to offer mindfulness meditation resources for families and teachers. I appreciate being able to offer the medicine of these teachings now, when it is needed more than ever.
Visit my events calendar for information about my upcoming programs.
In my Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation course, you will:
- explore the foundations and benefits of mindfulness meditation
- learn valuable mindfulness skills and tools
- receive practical support for developing or fine-tuning a daily meditation practice
- practice mindfulness of breath, body, feelings, and thoughts
- understand the importance of embodying mindfulness with loving awareness
- apply mindfulness skills to meeting life’s challenges and building resilience
- learn strategies to step out of reactivity and respond wisely
- awaken to mindfulness and compassion when you’re in the thick of difficulty
- dramatically shift the experience of your life, the people in it, and the world itself.
Each class session includes an instructional talk, guided practice, and Q&A/discussion. Whether or not you speak in class is completely up to you. Following each class, you receive access to participants-only pages on my website that contain a wealth of information and recommendations for practice in-between sessions.
I also offer workshops and courses on:
- Mindfulness with Children / Mindfulness for Families
- Mindful Decluttering
- Mindfulness for Teachers
- Mindful Practices for Calming and Soothing
- Decluttering the Mind
- Working Mindfully with Stubborn Thoughts and Limiting Beliefs
- Working Mindfully with Challenging Emotions
- Mindful Self-Compassion
- Cultivating Gratitude
- Practicing Mindfulness in Daily Life
- The Importance of Lovingkindness in Mindfulness Practice
- Cultivating Lovingkindness Towards Difficult People
- Mindfulness of Technology
- Mindful Photography
- Mindfulness for Sleep
- Mindful Communication
- Mindful Eating
Why work with me?
I have nearly 30 years of experience and credentials in meditation and mindfulness that include:
- my own mindfulness practice (daily meditation and regular retreats)
- an extremely nurturing, soothing, and supportive teaching style
- more than two years of mindfulness meditation teacher training with Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield
- experience designing and implementing mindfulness instruction for early childhood classrooms
- experience designing and delivering mindfulness meditation courses for adults
- completion of Jon Kabat-Zinn’s Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program
- graduate work in transpersonal psychology, social work, and education
- professional development in trauma-sensitive mindfulness
- professional member of International Mindfulness Teachers Association (IMTA)
- 30+ years working 1:1 with a spiritual/meditation mentor.
I design instruction to inspire practice, to provide clarity about how to practice, to build your confidence in your capacity to practice, and to strengthen your faith in your innate wisdom and compassion.
In addition to in-person and online group courses and guided meditations, I offer one-on-one Meditation Out-Loud personal mentorship sessions to support individuals in their formal practice of mindfulness and heart meditations and to deepen their skills.
Here is a snippet from one of my online courses:
Please contact me if you’d like to receive information about upcoming courses, or for more information about mindfulness instruction for individuals and groups of adults or children.
Here’s what participants in my mindfulness meditation courses have to say:
Free Guided Meditations
My guided mindfulness meditations have moved! To access them, please sign up below.
Receive Your Free Meditations
Sign up for writing and updates from Susan, and receive immediate access to her guided mindfulness meditations.
We respect your privacy and will not share your information.
Thanks for subscribing, and welcome! Expect some inspiring and uplifting emails headed your way! Also, be sure to check your inbox for an email explaining how to access your free, guided meditations.
This Thanksgiving, I'm reflecting on what I'm most grateful for - what has supported me through this year. Here are my top 11 (because 11 is my favorite number, of course). Birdsong During the shutdown, when everything got cancelled and felt surreal and changed from...
This summer, the river that runs by my front door has been my refuge. On the river, everything is so normal and predictable. It could be any summer. The sun and moon rise and set on schedule and travel the path they always do, undistracted by human drama. Birds sing....