Through practicing mindfulness meditation, we train our heart and mind to experience more freedom and well-being. Mindfulness practice builds awareness and compassion and is a path of clarity, empowerment, peace, and deep realization that liberates us from the conditioned mind and the thoughts in our head. I love to think of mindfulness as putting space around our thoughts and feelings and experiencing a deeper, more inclusive presence in the here and now. Working with rather than struggling against whatever arises in your life and in your mind. Meeting it all with open, spacious awareness and a wise, compassionate heart.
Many folks want to establish a meditation practice but don’t know where to start. There’s so much information available about mindfulness meditation that it can feel overwhelming – and impersonal. I’m here to help!
I offer group classes (delivered online and when it’s safe to do so in-person), workshops, and individual mentorship designed to help you develop a fruitful practice that suits your personality and lifestyle.
In my Intro to Mindfulness Meditation course, you will:
- explore the foundations and benefits of mindfulness meditation
- learn valuable mindfulness skills and tools
- develop a regular meditation practice that works for you
- practice mindfulness of breath, body, feelings, and thoughts
- understand the importance of embodying mindfulness with loving awareness
- learn strategies to step out of reactivity and respond wisely.
I also offer workshops and courses on:
- Mindfulness with Children / Mindfulness for Families
- Mindful Photography
- Working Mindfully with Stubborn Thoughts and Challenging Emotions
- Mindful Self-Compassion
- Practicing Mindfulness in Daily Life
- The Importance of Lovingkindness in Mindfulness Practice
- Cultivating Lovingkindness Towards Difficult People
- Mindful Communication
- Mindful Eating
- Mindfulness of Technology
Why work with me?
I have nearly 30 years of experience and credentials in meditation and mindfulness that include:
- my own mindfulness practice (daily meditation and regular retreats)
- more than two years of mindfulness meditation teacher training with Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield
- experience designing and implementing mindfulness instruction for early childhood classrooms
- experience designing and delivering mindfulness meditation courses for adults
- completion of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program
- graduate work in transpersonal psychology, social work, and education
- an extremely nurturing, soothing, and supportive teaching style.
I design instruction to inspire practice, to provide clarity about how to practice, to build your confidence in your capacity to practice, and to strengthen your faith in your innate wisdom and compassion. In addition to in-person and online group courses, I offer one-on-one Vipassana Out-Loud personal mentorship sessions to support individuals in their formal practice of mindfulness and heart meditations and to deepen their skills. I’ve offered my 4- to 6-week Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation course to numerous public libraries via Zoom during the Covid-19 shutdown and appreciate being able to offer the medicine of these teachings now, when it is needed more than ever.
Here is a snippet from one of my online courses:
Please contact me if you’d like to receive information about upcoming courses, or for more information about mindfulness instruction for individuals and groups of adults or children.
Here’s what participants in my mindfulness meditation courses have to say:
Free Guided Meditations
My guided mindfulness meditations have moved! To access them, please sign up below.
Receive Your Free Meditations
Sign up for writing and updates from Susan, and receive immediate access to her guided mindfulness meditations.
We respect your privacy and will not share your information.
Thanks for subscribing, and welcome! Expect some inspiring and uplifting emails headed your way! Also, be sure to check your inbox for an email explaining how to access your free, guided meditations.
This summer, the river that runs by my front door has been my refuge. On the river, everything is so normal and predictable. It could be any summer. The sun and moon rise and set on schedule and travel the path they always do, undistracted by human drama. Birds sing....
There's a spot on the Hudson River I paddle to almost every day. It's my quiet place of solitude. It's just large enough to pull my kayak onto and do some walking meditation, back and forth for 15 to 20 paces. This is a new spot for me. Normally, I wouldn't linger in...