offers a unique interweaving of photography, writing, mindful awareness, and energy work that supports presence, awakening, and well-being. She is a multifaceted, contemplative creative whose work is pollinated with a vibrant combination of life experience, formal education, and a lifelong devotion to evolving the Self. Her deep interest in the nature of consciousness and appreciation of the natural world infuse her art. She is a seeker of angles that serve as exquisite openings to the luminosity that is our essential nature.
As a graduate student in social work and transpersonal psychology, hospice work was her passion prior to becoming a mother in 1994. However, after her children were born, she felt drawn to working at the opposite end of the human life cycle as an early childhood educator. She taught kindergarten for several years and ran a preschool program for two years. Although she taught in the New York State public school system, she was a holistic educator at heart and developed and implemented research-based emotional literacy and mindfulness curricula for early childhood classrooms. She holds formal degrees in education (M.A., Goddard College), psychology (B.A., Ithaca College), and transpersonal studies (Sofia University/Institute for Transpersonal Psychology).
Mindfulness is a thread that runs through the heart of everything Susan does. She has been practicing mindfulness meditation in one form or another for more than 25 years. She completed the Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program with Jack Kornfield and Tara Brach through U.C. Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center, Awareness Training Institute, and Sounds True and is a graduate of the Hidden Treasure program with Alice McDowell, her spiritual mentor for more than 30 years. In addition, she is a graduate of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program and sits meditation retreats on a regular basis. She is currently working intensively with Eckhart Tolle and Kim Eng.
Susan has been writing and dabbling in nature photography her whole life, in the background while other pursuits and practices took center stage. During challenging times, she turned to nature photography and blogging as resources for cultivating inspiration, renewal, and gratitude. Contemplative photography and writing began as her medicine and became her passion that commanded greater attention. She exhibits her photography regularly in Upstate New York galleries and has received several awards in the annual Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor photo contest. She has published a deck of Loving Wisdom Cards, produced several volumes of poetry that are available as one-of-a-kind, handbound editions, and is currently working on an inspirational memoir, All Light Now: Losing My Parents and Recovering My Self.
In addition to being a writer and photographer, Susan, a native of Saratoga Springs, NY, is a mindfulness meditation teacher and Reiki master practitioner. She is also a certified clutter coach and feng shui consultant.
I am astonished by the splendor of common, ordinary things and believe that if we look closely enough from the right angle, we can find something to appreciate about a place or living thing – and perhaps gain insight into our own nature, as well.
When I am in nature, certain images stop me in my tracks, and at the time I might not know why I am so drawn to them but sense they are part of a greater story, language, pattern, or blueprint that connects us all and needs to be shared. Touching such images intimately with presence invites them to speak to us deeply, expand our hearts, and awaken or strengthen something integral within us. When an image seizes me like that, I contemplate what wants to be noticed. I am dedicated to sharing my contemplative vision and insights through words and pictures that reveal beauty, connections, and universal patterns and rhythms.
- All Light Now: Losing My Parents and Recovering My Self, inspirational memoir (expected publication date: 2021)
- Solo: A Path Back Home, Saratoga Springs Train Station, Art in Public Places (June – July 2021)
- Group: Breaking the Grid, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2020)
- Solo: Water Dance, Sacandaga Valley Network Artist Gallery (Mar. – Apr. 2020) View virtual exhibition
- Solo: Frozen, Saratoga Springs Public Library, Art in Public Places (Jan. 2020)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2019 – Jan. 2020)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2019)
- Solo: Mindful, Saratoga Springs Visitor Center, Art in Public Places (June 2019)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2018 – Jan. 2019)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2018)
- Solo: Waterfalls I Have Loved, Saratoga Arts Reception Area Gallery, Art in Public Places (June 2018)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2017 – Jan. 2018)
- Solo: Sunrise, Sunset: Upper Hudson River Reflections, Saratoga Springs Public Library, Art in Public Places (Sept. 2017)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2017)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2016 – Jan. 2017)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2016)
- Solo: Impressions of Fall, Hadley-Luzerne Public Library (Sept. 2015)
Community & Corporate Partnerships
- Community Arts Grant with Schuylerville Public Library awarded through Saratoga Arts: Presenter of Beginning Nature Photography course (Summer 2021)
- Saratoga Springs Public Library, Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library, Schuylerville Public Library: Presenter of online mindfulness and conscious living courses
- Camp Rockaway, Rockaway Park, NY: Photographer for 2021 pilot program in Schuylerville, NY
- Hudson Crossing Park and Rural Soul Music Studio, Schuylerville, NY: Co-presenter of Autumnal Equinox Celebration/Labyrinth Walk event
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA: Portrait photographer for Jimmy Fund fundraising campaign with Burger King and Valvoline Instant Oil Change (2019)
- Light on the Hill Retreat Center, Van Etten, NY: Photography for website and Hidden Treasure program
- Gateway House of Peace, Milton, NY: Photography for hospice house annual gala and other events
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (first place and honorable mention, 2021)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (third place and honorable mention, 2019)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (two honorable mentions, 2017)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (third place, 2015)
- Blog/journal articles, SusanTaraMeyer.com (July 2012 – present)
- Loving Wisdom Cards (inspirational photography oracle card deck, 2020)
- 50×50 (hand-bound gift book, 2017)
- New Eyes (poetry collection, hand-bound chapbook, 2008)
- Selected Poems (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2007)
- The Spaces in Between (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2007)
- Shaking the Tree (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2006)
- “Five” (poem), Mothering: The Magazine of Natural Family Living, (March/April 2004, issue #123)
- The Dandelion Years (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2003)
- Inner Space (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2003)
- “Birth” (poem), Mothering: The Magazine of Natural Family Living, (Fall 1996, issue #80)
My eyes blinked open a little earlier than usual to pink light streaming through my bedroom window. Barely out of a dream, I jumped out of bed, grabbed my camera, and dashed across the road to the riverside. The sunrise sky changes from one moment to the next, and I...
This morning, I was about to share an image online. I'd been holding onto the picture for a while, in no hurry to share it. It was just a simple picture of something I appreciated as the sun rose one morning. No particular words had come to mind yet, only a sense that...