offers a unique interweaving of photography, writing, mindful awareness, and energy work that supports presence, awakening, and well-being. She is an emerging artist whose work is pollinated with a vibrant combination of life experience, formal education, and a lifelong devotion to evolving the Self. Her deep interest in the nature of consciousness and appreciation of the natural world infuse her art. She is a seeker of angles that serve as exquisite openings to the luminosity that is our essential nature.
Hospice work was her passion prior to becoming a mother in 1994. However, after her children were born, she felt drawn to working at the opposite end of the human life cycle and taught kindergarten for several years. Although she taught in a public school, she was a holistic educator at heart and developed and implemented research-based emotional literacy and mindfulness curricula for early childhood classrooms. She holds formal degrees in education, psychology, and transpersonal psychology.
Mindfulness is a thread that runs through the heart of everything Susan does. She has been practicing mindfulness meditation in one form or another for more than 25 years, and her meditation practice has been her rock during the coronavirus pandemic. She completed the Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program with Jack Kornfield, Tara Brach, and mentor Jane Baraz through U.C. Berkeley’s Greater Good Center and Sounds True and is a graduate of the Hidden Treasure program with Alice McDowell, her spiritual mentor for more than 30 years. In addition, she is a graduate of the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program and sits meditation retreats on a regular basis.
Susan has been writing and dabbling in nature photography her whole life, in the background while other pursuits and practices took center stage. During challenging times, she turned to nature photography and blogging as resources for cultivating inspiration, renewal, and gratitude. Contemplative photography and writing began as her medicine and became her passion that commanded greater attention. She exhibits her photography regularly in Upstate New York galleries and has received several awards in the annual Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor photo contest. She has published a deck of Loving Wisdom Cards, produced several volumes of poetry that are available as one-of-a-kind, handbound editions, and is currently working on an inspirational memoir, All Light Now: Losing My Parents and Recovering My Self.
A native of Saratoga Springs, NY, Susan received degrees from Goddard College (M.A.) and Ithaca College (B.A.). In addition to being a writer and photographer, she is a mindfulness meditation teacher, Reiki master practitioner, clutter coach, feng shui consultant, and a licensed educator.
I am astonished by the splendor of common, ordinary things and believe that if we look closely enough from the right angle, we can find something to appreciate about a place or living thing – and perhaps gain insight into our own nature, as well.
When I am in nature, certain images stop me in my tracks, and at the time I might not know why I am so drawn to them but sense they are part of a greater story, language, pattern, or blueprint that connects us all and needs to be shared. Touching such images intimately with presence invites them to speak to us deeply, expand our hearts, and awaken or strengthen something integral within us. When an image seizes me like that, I contemplate what wants to be noticed. I am dedicated to sharing my contemplative vision and insights through words and pictures that reveal beauty, connections, and universal patterns and rhythms.
- All Light Now: Losing My Parents and Recovering My Self, inspirational memoir (expected publication date: 2021)
- Group: Breaking the Grid, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2020)
- Solo: Water Dance, Sacandaga Valley Network Artist Gallery (Mar. – Apr. 2020) View virtual exhibition
- Solo: Frozen, Saratoga Springs Public Library, Art in Public Places (Jan. 2020)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2019 – Jan. 2020)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2019)
- Solo: Mindful, Saratoga Springs Visitor Center, Art in Public Places (June 2019)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2018 – Jan. 2019)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2018)
- Solo: Waterfalls I Have Loved, Saratoga Arts Reception Area Gallery, Art in Public Places (June 2018)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2017 – Jan. 2018)
- Solo: Sunrise, Sunset: Upper Hudson River Reflections, Saratoga Springs Public Library, Art in Public Places (Sept. 2017)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2017)
- Group: Member Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (Dec. 2016 – Jan. 2017)
- Group: 10×10 Exhibition, Saratoga Arts (June – Sept. 2016)
- Solo: Impressions of Fall, Hadley-Luzerne Public Library (Sept. 2015)
Community & Corporate Partnerships
- Camp Rockaway, Rockaway Park, NY: Photographer for 2021 pilot program in Schuylerville, NY
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA: Portrait photographer for Jimmy Fund fundraising campaign with Burger King and Valvoline Instant Oil Change (2019)
- Light on the Hill Retreat Center, Van Etten, NY: Photography for website and Hidden Treasure program
- Gateway House of Peace, Milton, NY: Photography for hospice house annual gala and other events
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (first place and honorable mention, 2021)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (third place and honorable mention, 2019)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (two honorable mentions, 2017)
- Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor Photo Contest (third place, 2015)
- Blog/journal articles, SusanTaraMeyer.com (July 2012 – present)
- Loving Wisdom Cards (inspirational photography oracle card deck, 2020)
- 50×50 (hand-bound gift book, 2017)
- New Eyes (poetry collection, hand-bound chapbook, 2008)
- Selected Poems (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2007)
- The Spaces in Between (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2007)
- Shaking the Tree (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2006)
- “Five” (poem), Mothering: The Magazine of Natural Family Living, (March/April 2004, issue #123)
- The Dandelion Years (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2003)
- Inner Space (poetry collection, hand-bound edition, 2003)
- “Birth” (poem), Mothering: The Magazine of Natural Family Living, (Fall 1996, issue #80)
4 AM. I'm awake in bed feeling anxious. Only one day until the Inauguration. How will it turn out? What will happen in the meantime? What could go wrong? Who else will be pardoned before then? 4:15. This is too early to wake up for the day. I remember I have choices....
Today on this Winter Solstice + Grand Conjunction, I've spent the morning writing down some words that have been coming through. Grief had something to say to those who have lost loved ones this year. May these words of hope ease the darkness of this darkest day even...